As an Amazon affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
In this blog post, I’ll show you how to program ONN remotes with or without codes.
How Do I Program My ONN Remote Control?
Do you have too many remote controls for your audio and video devices? Simplify your entertainment system with the ONN universal remote that can control up to four devices, including popular brands like Samsung, Sony, Insignia, and Vizio.
This guide offers two easy methods to program your ONN universal remote. The first method involves finding the right code for your device from the code list through manual direct code entry. The second method is the automatic code search feature, which allows the remote to scan all available codes until it finds the one that works for your device.
No matter your device, whether it be a Smart TV, DVD player, or other video device, I’ll help you find the right code using either method. Say goodbye to multiple remotes and simplify your entertainment system with the ONN universal remote.
Let’s get started with my step by step guide on how to program ONN remotes!
Preparation for Programming
Before attempting to program ONN remotes, gather the following:
- Your ONN universal remote control
- The remote’s manual (or online access)
- A list of codes for your equipment, including variations for brands like Panasonic National, Diamond Vision, and Philips Magnavox.
You should also identify your ONN remote model, typically found on the back or in the manual.
Method 1: Auto Code Search Method
Here is how to program ONN Remotes using the Auto Code Search Method:
- If you can’t find the device code or prefer to search for it, use the Code Search method
- Turn on the device you want to control, such as your TV.
- Hold down the Program button on your ONN remote until the Power button lights up red.
- Press the device type button on the ONN remote that corresponds to your device.
- While pointing the remote at your device, hold down the OK button. The remote will test codes automatically until it finds a compatible one.
- Release the OK button once a valid code is found. Your device is now paired with your ONN remote.
- Test the remote to make sure all buttons work correctly. If not, repeat the process until you find a working code.
Method 2: Direct Code Entry
And here is a step-by-step guide for the direct code entry method to how to program ONN remotes using codes:
- Find the 4-digit code for your device in the manual or on the ONN website.
- Turn on the device you want to control (e.g., TV, DVD, Aux, etc.).
- Press and hold the Program button on your ONN remote until the Power button lights up red.
- Press the device type button on your ONN remote: TV, DVD, Aux, etc..
- Enter the 4-digit code for your device within 35 seconds of pressing the device button.
- The red indicator light will turn off if the code was valid. If the Power light is still on, try another code from your list.
- Point the ONN remote at the device and press the Power button to test if the device powers off.
- If it doesn’t, try another code until you find the correct one.
Related: GE Remote Codes List by TV Brand
Advanced Features and Customization
Your ONN universal remote offers advanced features and customization options:
Setting Up Macros: Control Multiple Devices with a Single Button Press:
- Press and hold the MACRO button until the LED flashes twice.
- Press the button you want to assign the macro to (e.g., POWER).
- Press the sequence of device keys and functions you want to include.
- Press the MACRO button again to save the sequence.
- Your remote may have additional settings like a sleep timer or button customization. Check the manual for instructions.
Resetting to Factory Settings:
Do the following to reset your remote to its original settings:
- Press and hold the SETUP button.
- Wait until the LED flashes twice.
When setting up an ONN universal remote, it is important to follow the steps carefully to ensure that it works properly with your devices. Here are some troubleshooting tips that may help you in the process.
First, make sure that your remote is compatible with your devices. Some popular brands like Panasonic National, MGN Technology, Standard Components, Vector Research, Road Authority, Star Sight, Color Voice, Price Club, Technol Ace, Net TV, Replay TV, America Action, TCL TV, and Blu-ray players, among others, may have different codes that are used to program the remote.
Try Different Variations
If you are having trouble finding the right code, you may need to try different variations until you find one that works. Some remotes may use LSI (large-scale integration) technology, which allows for a wide range of electronic devices to be controlled by a single remote.
Use the Right Code
When programming the remote, make sure that you are using the right code for your device. Some remotes come with a list of codes for different devices, while others may require you to search for the code manually. It is important to enter the code correctly to ensure that the remote works properly.
Look for the Red Indicator Light
After entering the code, look for a red indicator light on the remote. This light will indicate that the remote is trying to communicate with the device. If the light blinks, it means that the remote is not communicating properly with the device. Try entering the code again or use a different variation.
Try Auto Code Search
If you are still having trouble finding the right code, you may want to try the auto code search function on the remote. This function will search for the right code automatically by sending out an infrared signal to the device. Make sure that the device is turned on and within range of the remote for this function to work.
If the auto code search function does not work, you may need to do further programming to get the remote to work properly. Check the user manual for instructions on how to do this or try searching online for a step-by-step guide.
In conclusion, setting up a universal remote can be a bit tricky, but by following these troubleshooting tips, you should be able to get your remote working with your devices in no time.
How To Program ONN Remotes: Wrap Up
In conclusion, I hope my guide on how to pogram ONN remotes was helpful.
Once programmed, you can easily switch between devices using the desired device button, adjust the volume control, and even use voice control features for some devices. Be sure to consult the user guides or online resources for your favorite channel or to troubleshoot any issues you may encounter during the programming process.
Using the Onn TV codes or Auto Search method, programming your remote is a breeze, and you’ll be ready to play with your various devices at the touch of a button!
Were you able to get your Onn remote programmed successfully? Please leave me a comment below and let me know.
Read Next: 7 Best Logitech Harmony Alternatives
Tim Brennan is a technology blogger and hosts the @TecTimmy YouTube channel. He writes about smart homes at oneSmartcrib, home theaters at UniversalRemoteReviews, and AI in writing at Writeinteractive. A graduate of Northeastern University School of Journalism, he has written about technology for 30 years. Tim lives on the ocean in Nahant, Massachusetts.
Please subscribe to my YouTube channel for a fun take on all things tech.