As an Amazon Affiliate, we earn from qualifying purchases.
Since starting this blog a couple of years back, a question I often get asked what is the difference between the Logitech Harmony Elite vs 950 universal remote controls. It’s a great question as the remotes themselves look alike but the Elite is significantly more expensive, so what gives?
The main difference between the Harmony Elite and the 950 is that the Elite ships with the Harmony Hub and the 950 does not. The Hub adds support for Bluetooth and Wi-Fi devices, where 950 is limited to controlling home theater equipment and streaming devices (no smart home control).
If you want to learn more about some additional differences between the devices, read on.
Cut to the Chase: The Key Difference
OK, so I’m not going to beat around the bush here.
If you haven’t already figured it out, the key difference is that the Elite comes with a Hub and the 950 does not.
But, what does this mean exactly?
With the Hub, you can control smart home devices like smart lights, smart locks, smart appliances, smart blinds, etc. over wifi and Bluetooth.
The 950 does not support wifi and Bluetooth natively.
No smart home stuff.
Only the Elite supports Alexa. Alexa communicates with the Harmony Hub.
No hub, no Alexa. Yes, you heard that right.
The 950 will also NOT work out of the box with Amazon Alexa.
Harmony 950 vs Elite: Example
With the Elite you can program an activity, say “Netflix and Chill” to turn on your TV, turn on your cable box, set the TV to the correct input, dim the lights, turn the color of the lights to blue, lower your smart blinds, and start Netflix app.
The same activity on the 950 would turn on your TV, turn on your cable box, set the TV to the correct input, and fire up Netflix only.
Why Would I Want the 950 vs Elite?
The short answer is you probably don’t want the Logitech Harmony 950 vs Elite.
The price has come down so much on the Elite in recent weeks that it simply makes it a better choice. You get more for your money, plus future compatibility with your smart home right out of the box.
- The most powerful and intuitive Harmony remote works with Alexa for voice control. All-in-one control of up to 15 home entertainment and connected home devices
- Full color touchscreen: Simply swipe and tap to control channels, movies, volume, 50 favorite channels and smart home devices like Philips Hue lights
- One-touch Activities: Touch an Activity like “Watch a Movie” to automatically power on and switch devices to the right settings; Compatible with Amazon’s Alexa for easy voice integration and activation
- Harmony app: Turns iOS or Android smartphones or tablets into personal universal remote controls for the whole house
- Closed cabinet control: Included Harmony Hub lets you control devices in closed cabinets, or even when away from home
Last update on 2022-04-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
IF you are looking for IR remote to control just your home entertainment devices, you don’t care about Alexa or smart home devices [at least for now], AND you can get a better deal than the Elite, the 950 may still be worth a look.
- One-touch activities: touch an activity like "watch a movie" to automatically power on and switch devices to the right settings
- Full Color touchscreen: simply swipe and tap like your smartphone to control channels, volume, 50 favorite channels and more
- Motion-activated backlit buttons: find the right button every time, even in the dark. Customize the dedicated media playback, cable/satellite, and DVR controls to your preferences
- Charging Station: keeps your remote powered and within easy reach; Change channels, adjust volume, fast-forward, or rewind using gestures on the bright 2.4 Inch touchscreen
- Works with over 270,000 devices: all in one remote controls your TV, satellite or cable box, Apple TV, Roku, tivo, Blu-ray player and game console.Create multi-command macros
Last update on 2022-04-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Interactive Comparison Table
The following table compares the key features of the Harmony 950 vs Elite side by side. Use the search field to see only those rows that apply to a particular term. For example, if you are interested in Sonos compatibility, type Sonos into the field.
The colors and dimensions for these remotes are identical.
|Specification||Harmony 950||Harmony Elite|
|Height||7.56 in||7.56 in|
|Width||2.13 in||2.13 in|
|Depth||1.14 in||1.14 in|
|Weight||5.78 oz.||5.78 oz.|
The only real physical difference is the 950 has a few more buttons for activities.
Oh, and if you are considering purchasing the Harmony Ultimate Home over the Elite, check out Logitech Harmony Elite vs Ultimate Home: A Smart Remote Buyers Guide & FAQ].
What’s in the Box?
The Harmony Elite box contains the following:
- Harmony Remote
- Harmony Hub
- 2 IR mini blasters
- 2 AC power adapters
- USB cable
- Charging station
The Logitech Harmony 950 Box contains the following:
- Harmony Remote
- AC power adapter
- USB cable
- Charging station
Customers generally like both of these remotes.
Since you get more bang for your buck with the Logitech Harmony Elite [also links to Amazon] vs 950, this is my recommendation.
But if you ONLY have a need to control IR devices now and in the future, then the 950 is a better option.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I add a Harmony Hub Later?
Yes, you can add a Harmony Hub at any time. But again, this is cost-prohibitive. It will require configuration. Essentially, you will need to set that the IR signal comes from the Hub) instead of the remote to control your IR devices. You can set either the Elite/950 or Hub or specific IR mini blasters to control your devices. Refer to this article from Logitech.
What about the cheaper Harmony options?
There are less expensive options. You can view our comparison of several popular Harmony remotes here. Most of these have similar drawbacks to the 950 and will also not control your smart home devices out of the box.
Harmony Companion and Smart Control are good choices for no-frills universal remotes that will control your home entertainment as well as your smart home devices.
What other Harmony Devices are Compatible with Alexa?
Alexa is compatible with Logitech Harmony Elite, Companion (formally Home Control), Smart Control, Ultimate, Ultimate Home, and Harmony Hub.
Is there an even better remote than the Elite?
The Harmony Elite is Logitech’s flagship remote for both home automation and entertainment. There is also the Harmony Pro remote that includes installation by a certified installer. This option is ideal only if you have a complex setup. You can read my review comparing Elite vs Pro here.
I have lots more questions? Where should I go?
I have found Logitech’s Remote and Smart Home Forums to be an excellent resource. You can also contact me by leaving a comment below. I will do my best to respond to all questions within one business day.
If you enjoyed this review comparing Logitech Harmony 950 vs Elite, you may also like some of my other posts:
Logitech Harmony 950 vs Elite Review and Comparison: Your Turn
I hope you enjoyed my review and comparison of the Logitech Harmony 950 vs Elite universal remote controls.
If you did not, will you please tell me why?
Or heck, just leave a comment below and let me know if you enjoyed it.
Also, do you think you will buy one of these remotes?
Leave a comment and let me know.
Thanks for your support of our site. Please social share! 🙂